Monday, January 19, 2009

January 18, 2009
New York, NY

I'm having a "Rear Window" moment. Remember that scene where Grace Kelly sneaks into Thorwald's apartment looking for the wedding ring? Just after her and Stella dug up the flower bed trying to find the dog? Thorwald comes home, Grace Kelly hides in the bedroom. James Stewart watches everything through binoculars from his apartment across the courtyard. Thorwald enters the bedroom ... oh silhouettes! It's a struggle. James Stewart is tragically imprisoned by the brokenness of his leg and can't do anything to help her. But I won't ruin it for you. And I confess, the only similarity between my current situation and that which I described is this: I'm lying in my tiny Manhattan room incapable of moving. And I seem not to be able to keep myself from staring out across the courtyard at all the lights from all the windows in all the worlds beyond that which I know. I think I have the flu. How fair is it that I'm in NYC and sick as a kitten? Hopefully with the judicious application of old movies and hot toddies I will be a warrior princess again in no time. Now, I'm about to have a Cary Grant moment ...with Deborah Kerr at the top of the Empire State Building.

102nd floor please.

 

At the top of the Empire State building ... more photos


No comments:

Post a Comment