Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26, 2011 
Asheville, NC

Mornin' from sunny Rose Hill Road. Which is really on the side of a mountain, not a hill. But roses there are indeed, as well as rhododendron, creeping jenny and a giant peach tree outside the window that bears little baby fruit. Peaches have been the theme for the last couple days after my best friend Jenny and I discovered the scrumptious peach bellinis at Tupelo Honey, our favourite brunch spot in town. And today I continue said peach affair by driving over the state line into Georgia!

When I was a teenager I had a list of random and crazy feats of travelling I wanted to accomplish.  This list included such things as finding the source of the Mississippi river, driving down a desolate Arizona highway in a convertible blasting Melissa Etheridge, and making macaroni and cheese on a Coleman stove under the giant Georgia Peach. I have not come armed with camp stove this trip, and sadly I heard tell that the aforementioned largest peach in the Universe may have toppled in the recent torrential storms. I hope they can put Peachy back together again, so that one day we may enjoy some KD together by the side of the road. And so be it.

And even though I'm in America I did not forget my favourite Canadian beer drinking holiday this past weekend. We celebrated with a barbecue, and of course, beer. Americans really have no idea what a two four is. Nor do they have any clue what I mean when I say "give'r." They think I'm "givin' it to her" which, as a metaphor, is unlikely. However I've been brushing up on my Southern speak since my arrival and am remembering the most important grammar rule: "Y'all" = singular and "All y'all" = plural. Everything else is just biscuits and grits ... Mmmm cheesy grits. How could I have forgotten that you are so incredibly delicious?

Now it's time to pack the van and give'r down a Georgia highway! Will report from beautiful Savannah soon. And speaking of Savannah, have a peek at the new Sweet article on yours truly written in honour of my upcoming show in town.

Peaches & grits,

x
K
More Photos from my Southerly adventures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment