Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January 12, 2011 
Toronto, ON

Bonjour from Casa Sweetlandia. I'm all curled up in my new favourite perch chez moi, up the stairs on the landing by the window. I feel like a cat. Me, myself, the white sheepskin rug, the damask cushions, three beeswax tapers, a vase of red roses, a cup of strong coffee, and a jar of moonshine cherries are all enjoying the snowy view! It's been two and a half months since I got home from my last tour, and it feels so strange to not be packing up the van and driving away! I'm settling in well to my life in the city, to my new home, new neighbourhood and friends. This is what I wanted. Time to rest, write, focus, develop relationships, take lessons, go to classes and get lots of exercise ...  I guess I will always have the wanderlust. For the more I sit here, the more I dream of desert highways, truck stops, sleazy motels, mysterious strangers and new adventures.

Then I remind myself I can have all those things here. Except maybe the desert highways. "Les Aventures" is a state of mind which I seem to inhabit perpetually. I love strapping on my boots and setting off into the snowy streets with no particular plan or destination in mind. I've been wandering a lot lately down by the Don River. Along the train tracks, through the old abandoned lots and across the old abandoned bridges. Sometimes I meet foxes, and feral kittens. Sometimes I see footprints leading strange places. You can find the new Sweetlandish photos from said wintery adventures here.

As for the rest of the winter, I certainly have no lack of plans. I'm taking advantage of this long block of time in one place to focus on my studies. Operation Woodshed. I'm also hoping making two records this year! One with Captain Dirt & The Skirt, and the other a new Kristin Sweetland solo album that is so exciting, thoroughly plotted and still a secret. Other than that I'll be focusing on my dancing, and twice-weekly classes at the amazing Esmeralda Enrique Academy of Spanish Dance. It is soooo good for my musical brain, not to mention my thighs. I also start another class next week of a different variety. I'm going back to school for real! This time for Fundamental Music Theory and Ear Training. Yikes. I am going to be so smart come spring...

Till we meet again,

x
K

 Down by the river ... More winter photos here!

No comments:

Post a Comment