Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15, 2011 
Brooklyn, NY

Word up from the heart of sunny downtown Brooklyn! Me, myself and my metro card have been roaming the streets of NYC all week on a bit of a working vacation. I left lovely uber-rural Rappahannock county Virginia and rolled right into the concrete innards of the big city... A bit of a polar shift. But balance in one's life is important. My memories of my time in the country are so sweet. The silhouettes of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the periwinkle dusk... The sparkling of the fireflies, the twinkling of stars... Not to mention I got to drive a truck though a field down a mountain. And then back up! I also went kayaking, rump bumping, and had a Virginia mud bath. After which my friend proceeded to catch me a fish and then cook it for dinner. All in a day's work.

Here, a day's work is a different thing altogether. I put on my Sweetlandish heels and take on the town. Went on rainy adventures to Central Park, had a fantastic gig at Banjo Jim's, made strange new friends and caught up with some old ones, hid in dark alleys, waited on a thousand trains... And of course, made a few excellent purchases. As well, it must be noted that the gentlemen on the streets of downtown Brooklyn are quite friendly indeed. Canadians on street corners are far too polite to tell you how much they like your outfit, or how attractive you look on any particular day. Judging from the amount of times I heard the phrase "Lookin' good, white lady!"  I think it might have to be the name of my new album.

I also got to see some great music while in town.  Particular mentions to The Silver Daggers from Tallahassee, FL who played a set right after me on Friday night. They were amazing and so lovely that I had to go see them again the next day! And hier soir, I celebrated my last evening in NYC with pals Blackie and the Rodeo Kings for their CD release show at The Living Room. They were brilliant as always and it was one hell of a time.

And now it's time to pack the van and hit the road. Next stop, Newport, RI! I have an appointment to keep with a certain sailor...

Anchors aweigh,

x
K

 Central Park in the rain...
More photos from my recent adventures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment