Saturday, February 14, 2004

February 14, 2004
Shreveport, LA

Happy Valentines Day, kittens. Today I woke up in my Mississippi sleazeball motel and decided to make a pilgrimage to find myself a Valentine. Drove all through northern Louisiana past Shreveport -almost to Texas- through some pine bayou or another and down some dirt road or two while big fat juicy snowflakes fell on my head. Then finally, I reached Shiloh Baptist Church and there I found Leadbelly's grave. Brought him the stalk and bud of cotton I was given after playing my Hugh's Room Leadbelly impersonation show as his Valentines present... Thanks for writing all those precious Timeless tunes Huddie Ledbetter. I know there was the small problem of you bein' a bit of a murderer and all... But, you know, at least you did it for the passionate torturous glory of love (altho it was still very wrong!) But you know, I believe it was that intense passionate edge you had that really made your songs stand the test of time. And they do. Thanks for that.
 
Onward Ho to Texas in the morn'!

xo

LadyValentine


No comments:

Post a Comment