Thursday, June 20, 2013

June 20, 2013
Toronto, ON

Hello Summertime! The solstice bells will ring tonight at 1:04 am EDT, and I shall be there to pop the bubbly, and eat a celebratory strawberry. Or six.

It’s been a full double-fortnight since I last properly wrote – and for my silence, I apologize. A girl has to keep some of her secrets. But there are a couple grand tales I would love to tell … So get comfortable, gentle reader, and pour yourself a drink.

Once upon a time, in ye olden Italia, there lived a nice poet who was tragically banished from his beloved city and forced to flee to the lonely hills of somewhere-or-other. There he spent the remainder of his years wandering pouty-faced though the Italian countryside, mourning not only his home, but the woman he loved - who had both the effrontery to marry another man, and then also go and die.

Our hero found solace in writing, and his deep belief in the Spiritual realm. And thus, he decided go on a quest through the unforgiving Underworld, up yonder mountain of Purgatory, right to the shining resplendent garden of Paradise. Where apparently the girl was waiting for him with a hot outfit, and a cool refreshment.

I am indeed a great believer in the Joseph Campbell-esque “heroic journey.” This usually starts out with the Call to Adventure and soon beckons some form of Supernatural Aid. Welcome to my life. And as Dante journeyed with Virgil though the many shadowy layers of his unconscious, so have I been guided by dead poets and troubadours on my own hero's journey of late.

This week my Virgil has been a tall, charming Englishman named Jont. I met said pin-stripe suit wearing, often-barefoot, singing-songwriting, master of manifestation at the International Folk Alliance Conference in February. He breezed into town last week on tour from Halifax and together we threw a wicked house concert party at Casa Sweetlandia. It was truly a magnificent time, and may have to become a regular event. We feasted, lounged around the metaphorical pool, and enjoyed a fantastic artistic salon-style soirĂ©e of music and storytelling courtesy of: Jess McAvoy, Sarah Burton, Jory Nash, Evalyn Parry, Richard Flohil, Michael Wrycraft, Yours Sweetlandishly, and of course, Jont.

The most magical part of our adventure, I cannot even tell myself. For that, I must direct you to Jont’s blog. He did such a fine job of putting into words something of which I may never have spoken. But it’s too late now – It’s on the internet forever. You will need another drink for that one, I reckon.

And in other news…

The Captain Dirt & The Skirt CD release was a glorious success. A million thank-yous and sweet Sweetlandish kisses to all my beautiful Ladies In Waiting, the folks at Lula Lounge, and everyone who came out to the show. We love you! And there were also a couple photographers who took some great shots … Have a peek at these galleries by Sean Ryan and Levent Erutku.

The new CD&TS website is still under construction, but we’re getting close and can’t wait to unveil it soon in all its glory.

Ciao,  xo

Signorina Sweetlandia

They aren't quite Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise, but they'll do.
More photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment