Tuesday, March 12, 2013


March 11, 2013
Cordova Lake, ON

Bonsoir from little frozen lake land, a sobriquet that might not apply much longer if it keeps raining kittens and puppies outside. I’ve been hiding away in the Kawarthas for a good week now. It's just me, my guitar, and the long stretch of white that leads on towards the horizon. There’s hardly a living thing in sight, not a songbird, a fly, or even a frozen lake monster to keep a girl warm on a cold winter’s night. Good thing there’s a nice wood stove in the corner. And I build a badass fire.

I have a few days left in sweet solitude before it’s back to the city for me. And I’m getting closer to checking off all the things on my cottage to-do list:

1.) Take one magnificent photograph every day (or reasonably magnificent.)
2.) Write one last new song for the CD&TS album.
3.) Watch inordinate amounts of Remington Steele.
4.) Remember how to relax ... On the inside.

So far I have one, two and three down. I’m working on four. There’s a bottle of whiskey in the kitchen that might have a suggestion or two for me.

I confess, it's my mind that I just can’t seem to slow down – eternally planning, examining, scheming, and dreaming.  Solving mysteries, I reckon. Last night I literally dreamt that the Folk Alliance International conference I just attended was being held in outer space. And I thought I had lots to pack before! That’ll learn me for watching the Discovery Channel before bed. But who can resist programs with flirty, scolding titles like “Bad Universe?” Like seriously.

Speaking of things I am planning and scheming, I am so excited to announce that the official Captain Dirt & The Skirt CD release show will be held on May 29, 2013 at Lula Lounge in Toronto. It will be another grand Ladies In Waiting production with all the trimmings and usual suspects … A glorious soirĂ©e to be true. More info coming soon. I hope you can make it!

And now, back to my fire and another new song. This one is an ode to the sea -or the metaphorical sea- and that one sailor you can’t wait to welcome home with a big, red lipsticky kiss.

Wood smoke and whiskey,

xo

La Sweet

More photos from my icy Adventures in Sweetland here

No comments:

Post a Comment